Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Scratch-developed soccer game to be made by the kids

We started this week working with the only private school to have received XOs laptops. From what I heard the students’ parents of this primary school ESCAF situated in Nyamirambo contributed to buy these laptops and OLPC agreed to help training them. The OLPC learning team has initiated three learning clubs at ESCAF: Journalism, Game Programming and Story-telling. In the game programming club which I am part of, we asked kids to cite all games they wanted to develop and we made them vote for the top four then divided them into groups. My group was supposed to develop AGATI – which is a relay-race-like game.

Because there was another group that was developing a RACING game, I proposed to the kids another game called LESI. It seems like air hockey in which they use feet; it’s played by two players where each one defends his own goal by shooting the ball in the goal of his/her opponent. Moreover you can’t stop the ball; you are only allowed one touch. The students - especially boys- love this game because they practically play it almost every single day.



I was so impressed that ESCAF pupils are eager to learn and use XO activities and I liked their communication. The only issue I meet there is that the kids are in different grades; so that if I need to show them some mathematical concepts – for insistence the graph - , some get them pretty quickly but I have to take more time for the others.

1 comment:

  1. This is a great game Ez! I love the video, and I can't wait to see more projects from the programming club.

    -Bryan

    ReplyDelete