Saturday, May 29, 2010

Relfashing XO's or something else?

I started OLPC rwanda internship at Kagugu Primary school where we primarily reflashed XO laptops. Desire, Adrien, Claude, Tiffany and I reflashed more computers day after day. At first we reflashed few computers in a long time, mostly because we had only two flash drive that had the new software in it. However, later, we customized more flash sticks and updated all the laptops at the school.

Other than this necessary but backbreaking job, i had little experince assisting and training teachers. I noticed that it will be much better if they get trained daily, because it's the best way to increase their capacity of learning. So far, my favorite tools in the XOs are E-toys (which helps creating a book-looking features and programming visually) and Scratch (it gives a very easy and useful way to do visual programming especially game programming for kids).
Therefore my visions are to use this new methodology of improving the ease of learning among teachers and to help teachers and kids how to write logical codes. I wish they all become able to make programs that not only prove that they can use XOs but also helpful in developing the education of the rwandan future genii.

4 comments:

  1. Hi EZ,

    I know that reflashing computers isn't fun, but it's necessary - and it contributes directly to allowing kids to use them. Stay positive - you'll work more with teachers and students as the internship progresses.

    -Bryan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Ez!
    Etoys is a real powerful tool to programming! In Brazil kids love it! There, we did some material to guide kids to understand some techniques. I was wondering if you would like to make some material about simple techniques, like you did in our first meeting (if the mouse is over, something happens).
    Let me know what do you think. Best, Silvia.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey!
    Gracias Muchos for giving me some feedback on my blog. Bryan, we've already started various activities including training, adding more programs, and I am also working on some web design stuff to improve our communication.

    Silvia, I really love E-toys and Scratch, the ESCAF kids and I are working on an air hockey-like game in scratch, we will do more with e-toys later.

    ez.

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is good EZ,i mean yous support to the schools is most appreciated and your experiences and ideas are most welcome.
    hope you like it to work here with us as we do.
    jimmy

    ReplyDelete